Tuesday, December 9, 2008

WHY TEACH TRICK?WHY TRICKS?

WHY TRICKS?  A question I get asked a lot!

1- Dogs need not only physical exercise but mental exercise as well, a tired dog is a good dog!
2- It builds communication skills. The dog is learning how to learn. Great if you want to do obedience.
3- You are building your relationship with your animal. So your dog actually WANTS to do what you ask them to do.
4-It actually makes your dog smarter!
5- It is a fun way to interact with your dog, besides sitting on the couch together. If your dog isn't a fan of the rain, you could do a trick training session inside instead of a walk.

1 comment:

Jieun Lee said...

Hi! My name is Jan. I love your training. I've been watching your videos all day! I have a new puppy who barks and barks when we are not home :( Neighbors are complaining. All the tricks seems so fun! I want to eventually get to it. My pup is only 3 months old. He has short attention span. I think he is a lab and pit mix. I made him a little blog. tankeatsalot.blogspot.com - I have sooo many questions don't know where to start. Tried going to email on your portrait website, but I don't have entourage and it keeps asking to open entrourage. Can you send me your email contact? I am based in Brooklyn NY. I noticed you are based out in San Diego CA. Do you ever come to NEW YORK? What is your rate for dog training? Do you have any apprenticeship program as well? I foster shelter dogs from time to time and LOVE LOVE dogs. I want to get into training so I can master training dogs so I can eventually help with shelter dog behavioral problems and hopefully own a shelter of my own. Your amazing! I would love to pick your brains. In meantime before I hear back, I will continue watching. So far, the only immediate problem I need assistance in is trying to keep dog from barking while we are away and training him on leash so when he gets his final shot we can take him out. I saw your loose leash walking, but it's hard to apply since the puppy keeps pulling leash and growls and wants to tug lol